Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Timeline

  • Up to age nine I was born in Baghdad, Iraq
  • Spoke Arabic
  • Completed the third grade there
  • Learned speaking, writing, and reading through school & family
  •  Came into the U.S. not knowing a single letter of the English language
  • I spent my first few month with my cousins who spoke English fluently
  • There were a few years younger, but always spoke English, so I picked up some words and phrases
  •  Always would be watching cartoons which helped me pick up more things
  • 4-5th grade I was surrounded by people who spoke both English and Arabic
  • They helped me out with some of my assignment and answered any questions I had
  • I started listening music, it motivated me
  • I would print out lyrics and just sing along
  • With the lyrics, I caught on more words
  • I started becoming literate through looking at pictures and re-writing words and sentences over and over again
  • By then I knew a little bit, but not enough to understand what my teacher is fully saying
  • I had a tutor up to the end of fifth grade
  • By the time I got to the 6th grade, I had picked up enough to communicate well with others and be in regular classes
  • My family was the biggest impact on be becoming literate
  • I have a cousin who would always sit and teach me a few things every now and then
  • Throughout the years, I was laughed at and made fun of because I wasn’t fully literate, but that’s what made me determined to be literate
  • I’d always ask questions, whether it was to my teacher or a family member
  • I would stay and talk to my teacher
  • With a little bit of time, I learned quick
  • I was being motivated by my family, and what pushed me harder were the people who made fun of the way I was literate
  • At home, two languages were being spoken
  • When I’m with friends, my language differs than when I am with family
  • When I’m with family, I mix both languages together
  • In high school I had the best teachers who helped become even more literate
  •  Learned to become literate through many things: Books, family, music lyrics, television, friends etc.

2 comments: